Japanese Word Trivia (Genki and Ittekimasu/Itterasshai)

Nowadays, I'm learning Japanese in purpose to prepare my prospective study and visit in Japan. Honestly, I've been learning that language for several random years since I was in junior high school. The difference is I did self-study back then meanwhile now I enroll in a formal class in local language course. Then, I found out a fews trivia (or maybe simply the lexically meaning) of some japanese word and I used to be wrong lol.

1. Genki ➡ fine
using in a sentence like,

Ikaga desu ka? ➡ how are you
Genki desu ➡ I'm fine

I used to say them carelessly even when I talked to the native lol. My Sensei (teacher) said that literally Genki means fine, but tend to refer to positive emotional state of someone, rather than physical health. It means, when we are sick (like getting cold, leg injury, etc), we can't say, "Genki ja nai" ➡ I'm not fine. Otherwise, we should to say "Kenkou warui desu" or "Byouki desu"➡ I'm sick (physically).

We even can say "Kanojo wa genki na hito!"➡She's a positive person!/She's a cheerful person! . Otherwise, when I said "Genki ja nai" ➡ I'm not well (emotionally). It means I'm emotionally not well (gloomy, sad, dissapoint, etc).

2. Ittekimasu➡I'm going (said by the person who leave a place) | Itterasshai➡ See ya (replied by the person who is left)

Literally, ittekimasu means I go and I'll be back soon. So, you can't say it when you leave home for study overseas because you won't come back in such long period. Then, itterasshai means go and please come back. Oh, I feel touched! The common word I said carelessly have the deeper meaning than I ever thought.


As I did self-study by gathering the materials from book and internet, I did not have chance to understand the lexical meaning of those words. I just processed a bunch of words and used them as I read their simple meanings written in book. Then, taking formal language class give me the new insight about foreign language learning process. Beside learning the language, I also be lectured about the native culture (like how is the proper gesture to say particular sentence, how is the proper intonation) even the history of some words (and lexical meaning). It all was fun and I feel they could catalyze better language ability for me!

--I can't write the word in proper Kanji yet since I had not learned them lol--

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

LPDP & Diploma Fresh Graduate [LPDP Part 1]

15 Hari Perayaan Imlek di Pontianak: Tradisi Saling Kunjung hingga Berburu Kumis Naga

Light-up aka Luminarie 「神戸ルミナリエ」